Have you ever found yourself having the urge to bake some tasty cookies, but then realizing that you don’t have one of the main ingredients in the kitchen? That main ingredient could be sugar, flour or baking powder? It is hard to substitute ingredients such as flour, but not so tricky if that missing spark is butter.
Butter is what helps bring a cookie together, it brings both texture and flavour to the crunchy biscuit making them more-some. Butter can, however be substituted with oil or margarine to give the cookies less fat but this can change the flavour.
However, there is no need to reach for them keys and make a mad dash for it to Tesco to help create the perfect cookie you are now craving. This following recipe makes beautiful cookies with peanut butter as the butter substitute. And with banana and raisins squished in there too, these cookies are just what you need.
125g of mashed banana (the riper, the better)
130g of peanut butter (crunchy works best)
70g of light brown sugar
100g of castor sugar
165g of plain flour
1tbsp of baking powder
40g of raisins (or chocolate drops, if you prefer)
1. First, line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Then, in a bowl, stir the banana and peanut butter till well blended, then add both the sugars and stir until a smooth paste is formed.
3. Next combine the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and add to the peanut butter mix, making sure it is fully mixed together.
4. Then fold in the raisins, before covering the bowl in cling film and refrigerating for at least an hour.
5. Once chilled preheat the oven to 190 degrees, then create small balls from the mixture then flatten slightly to create a cookie shape, repeat this with the whole mixture and bake them for 10-12 minutes.
*Note – Once cooked the cookies will be very soft, don’t take this as a sign they are not cooked, they are, the outside will harden up as they cool, leaving the inside deliciously sticky.
Now all is left to do is enjoy them with your family and friends 🙂
*Sorry there is no photo, they were all scoffed before had a chance to take one! I will take one next time for sure!