This warming, one-pot dish is delicious and very easy to create.
- 400g of lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes
- 220ml of lamb or beef stock
- 200g of dried apricots (optional, you could use another dried fruit or root vegetable instead)
- 1 4oog of chopped tomatoes
- Black pepper
- 1 400g of chickpeas
- Olive oil
- Chopped fresh mint
- Flaked almonds
- Greek yogurt
- Cous cous
- Heat the oil in a tagine, casserole dish or heavy based pan and fry the lamb for 3-4 minutes until browned, then leave to one side.
- Add the onions to your pan, and fry until they have softened, this will take about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic along with the spices and cook them off for a minute before returning the lamb and adding the stock, apricots or vegetables and chopped tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, give it a good stir and bring it to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes with the lid on and stir occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas, stir once more and let cook without the lid for a further 15 minutes, before serving with cous cous, a sprinkling of fresh mint and some Greek yogurt.